b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1Q287 Tanakh Deut. 32:43

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1Q287 Tanakh Deut. 32:43
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:39:12 +1100

I agree that Ted did not intend to insult anyone. However, I think he has
overstated the historical situation. We do know that Christians and Jews
argued over exegesis of verses in the Hebrew Bible during late antiquity. The
best case example is the interpretation of Isa 7.14 (please let's not dredge
up what this verse means AGAIN!!!). Christians produced a markedly Christian
understanding of the verse, while Jews produced a markedly Jewish
understanding.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au