b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1Q287 and the Tanakh at Deut. 32:43

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1Q287 and the Tanakh at Deut. 32:43
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 08:03:05 +0200

Hi Ted,

This depends what you mean by "the Masorah". Yes, the masorets worked during
the "Christian Era", but for the most part they worked under Muslim rule, and
probably had little first-hand contact with the Christian Bible. The real
question is, how much "editing" they did to the text that they were working
with. Most scholars assume that the consonental text was a "received" text
(which is what "masorah" means) which had more-or-less been standardized
within the Jewish community a long time before. Actually, our best indication
of the time by which the MT was already the "standard" Jewish text is the
Vulgate, which Jerome translated from the Hebrew text that the Jews of his
time (5th century) were using.

The way I picture it is that the MT, the LXX and the DDS all represent
textual traditions that were used by Jews during the Second Temple Period.
There may have been more than these three - there were certainly different
variations of each. The MT is basically what was left after most of the
Jewish community and its centers of learning were destroyed in the revolts of
66-73, 116-117 and 132-135, both in the Land of Israel and in the western
Diaspora.

Yigal Levin