b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1Q287 and the Tanakh at Deut. 32:43

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1Q287 and the Tanakh at Deut. 32:43
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 02:24:56 +0200

Dear Gary,

Let's please not be cynical. Your question is more about the NT than it is about the Hebrew Bible.

In any case, it is widely assumed that the writers of the NT used the Septuagint (or something like what we call the Septuagint) as their "Old Testament", so it would be only natural for them to quote the Septuagint version of this verse, which does include the phrase "Be glad, O heavens, together with Him, and do obeisance to Him, all angels of God". The Qumran version, at least according to Abegg, Flint and Ulrich's The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, is ".... all you gods". If I had to guess, I'd assume that the Qumran version is earlier, and that the Greek version(s) that we have today, which are all based on manuscripts that are later than Qumran, actually "cleaned it up" by replacing "gods" with "angels of God". As to why neither version appears in the MT - probably scribal error, simply "skipping" a line.

Yigal Levin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Hedrick" <garyh AT cjfm.org>