b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalm 29

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: LM Barre <l_barre AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Ancient Bible History <AncientBibleHistory AT yahoogroups.com>, b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalm 29
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:52:29 -0800 (PST)

H.L. Ginsberg was the first to realize that this Psalm has been adapted from
Canaanite thought.  He was followed by FM Cross.  Yahweh is presented like
Baal, as a storm god whose manifestation leads to the establishment of a
temple for him.  The following scene is celestial with Yahweh/Baal
manifesting himself in a storm.

1 Ascribe to the Yahweh, O mighty ones,

The "might one" are the bene elim, with an enclitic mem, meaning "the sons of
El."  Like Baal, Yahweh is pictured as a son of El among the council of the
gods who are called upon to recognize Yahweh's preeminence.

       ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
 2 Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name;
       worship the LORD in the splendor of his [a] holiness.

 3 The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
       the God of glory thunders,
       the LORD thunders over the mighty waters.
 4 The voice of the LORD is powerful;
       the voice of the LORD is majestic.

The manifestation of Yahweh's glory is picture as his voice in the various
aspects of the storm.

 5 The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars;
       the LORD breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.
 6 He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,
       Sirion [b] like a young wild ox.
 7 The voice of the LORD strikes
       with flashes of lightning.

The above pictures Yahweh in the lightening.

 8 The voice of the LORD shakes the desert;
       the LORD shakes the Desert of Kadesh.
 9 The voice of the LORD twists the oaks [c]
       and strips the forests bare.

Yahweh is the the winds of the storm

       And in his temple all cry, "Glory!"
 10 The LORD sits [d] enthroned over the flood;
       the LORD is enthroned as King forever.

The flood is the waters of chaos.

 [11 The LORD gives strength to his people;
       the LORD blesses his people with peace.]

As Cross recognized, this verse is a gloss.

 For the dedication of the temple.

This subscription has mistakenly been moved to be a superscription to Psalm
30.  In ancient Near Eastern hymn, the subscription is used.

This Psalm thus appears to have been used for the dedication of Solomon's
temple.  Solomon had strong ties with Hiram of Canaan.

Lloyd Barré
http://freewebs.com/lmbarre