b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 73, Issue 20

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen and Rebecca Shead <srshead AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, kwrandolph AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 73, Issue 20
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:19:34 -0300

Karl,

Yes, I see Oun's point as well, and the question is a good one, given the
contextual puzzle. Some other kind of "upsettedness" is certainly an
enticing possibility.

But that is why I said, "there are two clear-cut and common senses [of
XEMAH] elsewhere". After looking at the other occurrences, especially the
very frequent parallel with )AP "nose/anger", it seems to me to mean, very
straightforwardly, "wrath" (unless it means "poison"). In fact, it doesn't
ever seem to have the more "basic" meaning "heat", simply the derived
concept "wrath". So after toying with other ideas, I personally would stay
with the more conservative "wrath" (and then puzzle over why). Others will,
of course, disagree.

Stephen.

  • Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 73, Issue 20, Stephen and Rebecca Shead, 01/21/2009