b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ShRR in Job

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ShRR in Job
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 05:01:45 -0700

David:
This is exactly the danger we mentioned about using cognates to determine
the meaning of words.

While the concordance lists no uses of ShRR in Tanakh, the derivatives of
the root all are connected with chains and sinews tying down objects. If we
assume that SRR and ShRR (sin and shin) were originally one word, then the
uses of SRR are of a ruler figuratively chaining down his people to his
rule. In other words, the cognates indicate an almost opposite meaning to
what the uses in Hebrew indicate.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM, David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Dear Karl,
>
> I also believe it is the verb ShRR meaning "to direct (something)." It is
> referring to the thunder of the previous line:
>
> Remain attentive with the agitation of his voice and HeGheH (the moan,
> utterance (Ps90:9)(Jb37:2)) that goes out of his mouth. Beneath all of the
> heaven, he directs it that its light is above the corners of the earth.

Your translation here doesn't fit the context, starting in the previous
chapter and including verse one. It is the hearer who trembles, not his (the
speaker's) voice.

> In Akkadian, ShRR means "to go ahead," causitive form may mean "to
> encourage"
>
> They are related to:
>
> S)R in Arabic - to set out, move along, march, get going, be headed for
> s.th, be directed / oriented, be guided by; route
>
> )ShR in Hebrew - to go intentionally / directly (Pr9:16); (piel) to direct,
> lead (Is3:12;9:15)(Pr23:19)
>
> As well as many other words, but since there is no chance I can convince
> you of those, I will leave those out.
>
> Shabbat Shalom
> David Kolinsky

Of course you won't be able to convince me, when in the top example you give
an opposite meaning of what the context indicates, then an out-of-context
mistranslation.