b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ShRR in Job

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ShRR in Job
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:06:07 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Karl,

I also believe it is the verb ShRR meaning "to direct (something)."  It is
referring to the thunder of the previous line:

Remain attentive with the agitation of his voice and HeGheH (the moan,
utterance (Ps90:9)(Jb37:2)) that goes out of his mouth.  Beneath all of the
heaven, he directs it that its light is above the corners of the earth.

In Akkadian, ShRR means "to go ahead," causitive form may mean "to encourage"

They are related to:

S)R in Arabic - to set out, move along, march, get going, be headed for s.th,
be directed / oriented, be guided by; route

)ShR in Hebrew - to go intentionally / directly (Pr9:16); (piel) to direct,
lead (Is3:12;9:15)(Pr23:19)

As well as many other words, but since there is no chance I can convince you
of those, I will leave those out.

Shabbat Shalom
David Kolinsky

Dear B-Hebrew haburim:
This verse has what seems to me to be an unusual form of a word, namely
Y$RHW. It looks as if it is from the noun Y$RH, but with the masculine
suffix it then should be Y$RTW, or if a lamed-he verb, the normal form
should be Y$RYTW. Though I noticed that in Genesis 22:13 that (LH has the
name form, so it's not unheard of.

If it is a noun, then the verb would be TXT. To fit the context from the
previous verse, would that not be the verb XTT "to be paralyzed from fear",
or to fit the following half verse from XTH "to rake coals together"?
(Raking coals together would be to make a bright flame.)

If it is a verb, then it is a happax legomai, then the question is what does
it mean? The gloss supplied from the dictionaries I consulted doesn't seem
to fit the context. The LXX translators seemed to think that it was from the
root as $RR, which has the meaning of chaining down, being a prince (law
enforcer).

What do you all think? Are there any clues from cognate languages that fit
the context?