b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] biblical history and chronology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] biblical history and chronology
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 23:28:13 +0200

YHWH (often translated "LORD") is the name of the God of Israel. Jer 23:6 refers to a future king of Israel and Judah, descended from David (what was later called "Messiah"), who will be called "YHWH-our-righteousness". This is a compound name of a type very common in Hebrew and in other Semitic languages, in which the name of the deity is added to a verb or adjective. It is unusual only in that in most such "Yahwistic" names, the Tetragramaton is usually abbreviated to Yah, Yo, Yeho and the like. In this case, I think that Jeremiah intended it as a jibe at the reigning king, whose name was Zedekiah ("Righteous-Yah") and who was anything but.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Belot" <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>