b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The name YHWH is gone from the lips of Catholics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Yohanan bin-Dawidh" <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The name YHWH is gone from the lips of Catholics
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:04:10 +0200

Shalom l'kulam;

A friendly and incidental remark about this greeting of yours:

Maybe would it not be better to use "Shalom l'kulKHEM" as it is used in 1Sa 22:7?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain)

This is interesting, especially when not all Yuhudhim refrain from using the
name of Yohowah. There are some of us, who refuse to replace the name of our
deity with descriptive pronouns during our readings of the Torah, due to the
fact that we think if the name is written within the text of the Torah, then
when reading the Torah, in silent or aloud, we are to pronounce the name.
There are also some of us, who think that during prayer we should make an
effort to use the name of Yohowah. There are also some of us, who like are
ancestors think we should greet and bless each other in the name of Yohowah.
I happen to be one who follows the above standard.

The only time I refrain from using the name of Yohowah per se, is when I
know it offends my audience, unless such offense comes from my reading of
the Torah, or any other portion of the Tanakh. If someone gets offend by my
use of the name of Yohowah, merely because I am using it when I read the
text of the Miq'ra that has it contained within, then they will merely have
to deal with such.

Yo*h*anan bin-Dawidh

Haslet, Texas