b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Micah 4:8 and 5:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Micah 4:8 and 5:1
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:53:19 -0700

Kenneth:
Analyze the verse, looking at the uses of the words in the sentence.

"And you, Tower of Eder, protrusion of the daughter of Zion" identifying a
place. ( (PL refers to something that protrudes, swells out, such as a hill,
tower, tumor, etc.)

"up to you she will arrive, even come" who is the "she"? It is not the
daughter of Zion, as that is part of the preceding phrase identifying the
place. However, the following "first rulership" is also grammatically a
"she" so it fits as the subject of this verb. The verb is doubled using
synonyms in a semi-poetic way often found in Biblical Hebrew.

"the first rulership, a kingdom for the daughter of Jerusalem." the subject
of the verb is also semi-poetically doubled, just as the verb is.

In conclusion, the meaning I see in the verse is, "And you, Tower of Eder,
protrusion of the daughter of Zion, the first rulership, a kingdom for the
daughter of Jerusalem, will arrive, even come up unto you." which fits also
the context of the previous verse.

Karl W. Randolph.