b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] honor and shame in Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] honor and shame in Bible
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:36:52 -0700 (PDT)

Kenneth:

A good reference book that may help you understand the honor/shmae dynamic
and how it helps with biblical interpretation is:

Desilva, David A. Honor, Patronage, Kinship & Purity: Unlocking New
Testament Culture. Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2000. ISBN
0830815724, 9780830815722

Kevin

kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com> wrote:

I have heard people say that you can't understand the Bible unless you
understand honor and shame during those times. I have read a little about the
subject, but I don't know how important it really was. Can anyone tell me if
honor and shame are really that important to understanding the Bible?

Kenneth Greifer

Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek,
Theological Bibliography and Research
Cierpke AT prodigy.net http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm