b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vision of Gabriel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vision of Gabriel
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:21:13 -0700

Vadym:
Looking at the files listed in previous messages, thanks to Bryan Cox, I
downloaded
http://www.nfc.co.il/uploadFiles/848324000835419.pdf
which has both an image of the text, and a proposed transcription to modern,
printed alphabet.

While I don't pretend to be an expert on Rabbinic or Mishnaic Hebrew, I
found no surprises. The quality of the handwriting is less than what I have
seen in the DSS that I have looked at (the writer would never have gotten a
prize for his good handwriting), but is recognizably the same style of font.
It is definitely not MT style Hebrew, it has Biblical references that are MT
style.

I didn't see anywhere the possibility for the resurrection after three days
that Israel Knohl refers to, that is a reconstruction not clear in the
surviving text. But the surviving text is in such poor shape that I'll have
to see his arguments before ruling them out.

Karl W. Randolph.