b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yamim or yamin?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bryan Cox <b_coxus AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yamim or yamin?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:19:53 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Ken, for the references.  Unfortunately, it will be a while before my
next seminary library excursion (they're just far enough away that I have to
plan my trips), and you would know that the online preview just happens to
exclude page 13.

A brief summary would really interesting to me if you have the time for it.

Is this interchange of 'nun' and 'mem' in Hebrew due to the influence of
Aramaic?  I wonder since it seems that the texts that contain this
interchange of letters are relatively late.  Otherwise, I'd guess it's just
because the 'mem' and 'nun' can sound similar and that corruption/confusion
'just happened' over time. Anyway, thanks again for the references.  I'll
look them up when I next get the chance.

Thanks,
Bryan