b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Petropolitan Codex

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Petropolitan Codex
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 05:15:07 +0000

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Pere Porta wrote:
> I'm interested in knowing where the Petropolitan Codex, which was written in
> the 10th century, is found today. I mean: country, city, institution where
> it is stored.
>
> It contains the Prophets. Maybe it is also known as "Babilonian or Babilonic
> Codex".
> Does anyone on this list know it?

See http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/downloads/tc-list/tc-list.9805
where you can read:

The names given to manuscripts often derive from historical circumstances.
For example the NT ms Codex Bezae retains that name even though Theodore
Bezae died centuries ago. Likewise, Codex Leningradensis (Evr. II.B.19a)
became the standard name for that manuscript ever since the appearance of

BHK, based on that manuscript. To maintain a degree of continuity with the
standard name and abbreviation, Leningradensis has been retained; St.
Petersburg is used, of course, when identifying the library in which it is
housed.

Petropolitanus is a different manuscript, housed in the same library and
numbered Firk. I B 3. This name was used ever since Strack published an
edition of it in 1876. On the other hand B19a was described, if at all, in
the pre-1917 literature in a variety of ways. Ginsburg, for example,
called it "the St. Petersburg Codex dated A. D. 1009," to distinguish it
from what most textual scholars considered at the time to be a more
important manuscript, "the St. Petersburg Codex dated A. D. 916," or just
"the St. Petersburg manuscript," i. e. Codex Petropolitanus.

Harold P. Scanlin
United Bible Societies

(brought to you by)
Yitzhak Sapir