b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 52:5 hapax legomenon?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 52:5 hapax legomenon?
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 06:42:52 -0500

tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:
Hello,

I have a question in regards to Isaiah 52:5. There is a verb yehēlīlū the hiphil 3rd
person plural from the root YLL which is generally translated as "they
howled". Most of the time that a verb derived from YLL is used it is in the
imperative (You howl!) but at least in Micah 1:8 it occurs in the as the hiphil (first
person singular imperfect).

So my question is this: Is the verb yehēlīlū a hapax legomenon since this is the only time it occurs (that I can find any how) in the 3rd person plural? Any thoughts are appreciated.

No, it's not a hapax legomenon. It occurs many times. By the way, in the dead sea scroll 1QIsa it has a different form here:

YHWLLW

Yours,
Harold Holmyard