b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] what is SPYR ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] what is SPYR ?
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:54:34 -0400

Yaakov,

Yes. Very reasonably R' Akiba's SAPIR=white, granulated [as being composed of a CIBUR or SIPUR [otherwise, a CIBUR of words] of gems] marble polished to a high sheen. He, who is known to have paid great attention to the language, may have read LBNT as LEBENAT or LIBNAT.
The word K-MA-(ASEH in Exodus 24:10 indicates that reference is to something compounded or made.

Isaac Fried, Boston University