b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXM
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:23:35 -0400

No. This is not what is written and not what is meant by Job 42:6
עַל-כֵּן אֶמְאַס וְנִחַמְתִּי עַל- עָפָר וָאֵפֶר
What Job is saying is
"Therefore I will decay and be reposing on dust and ashes."
Job is foreseeing now his inevitable termination after admittedly reaching the ultimate in beholding [my eye has seen you] God Himself.
This is parallel to the encounter in Exodus 33:20 between Moses and God, where God is saying
וַיֹּאמֶר לֹא תוּכַל לִרְאֹת אֶת- פָּנָי כִּי לֹא-יִרְאַנִי הָאָדָם וָחָי
"But my face you cannot see, for no man sees me and still lives."

Isaac Fried, Boston University