b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NXM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NXM
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 23:28:49 -0400

Hi David,

I read your article with great interest (thanks!) having written my own interpretation of Job (for a popular audience), which I hope will be published soon. Of course, we all relish the chance to explain our take on the enigmatic book.

Job 42:6 venixamti reads quite naturally as a standard niphal. Do you know of other cases of NXM used as an "intransitive piel"? I expect "I am comforted" would be nuxamti (pual).

All the best,
Bryan

David Kummerow wrote:
Hi Bryan,

Yes, as you say the texts are pretty clear.

One ambiguous example of which I am aware that has profound meaning difference is Job 42:6. If taken there as a niphal, Job would be "repenting" with the object supplied by "`al `aphar waepher" (see eg Habel's commentary). If taken as a(n example of an intransitive) piel, Job states that he is "comforted" with the location of the comfort specified by "`al `aphar waepher". I personally prefer the second option (see my JHS article) as (a) it provides a nice inclusio with 2:11 whereby comfort for Job in the book is only found in God; and (b) it provides a link back to the prologue in that in Job 42:6 Job does exactly what satan said he would never do: accept God for who he is and not for what he can get out of him. That is, Job is comforted by God even in the circumstance of "`al `aphar waepher". A rough rendering of the verse might be: "Therefore, I melt [in reverence] and have been comforted upon dust and ash."

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Hi Karl,

Noah's name isn't derived from NXM, if that's what you are saying. It
is derived from NWX, which is thematic in Gen 8:4 when the ark comes to
rest on Ararat.

As for NXM, you need to distinguish the stem the word is used in when
you are trying to understand its meaning. When NXM is used in the
Niphal stem about forty-eight times it means to regret, to feel sorry
about, or to feel grief. When it is used in the Piel stem about fifty
times it has a transitive meaning, to (give) comfort (to) someone. The
texts are pretty clear.

BTW, I have no idea what you mean when you say RWC is used in Niphal
stem. I have no knowledge of such a case. When the root is used
transitively it is used in the Hiphil stem, and the corresponding
passive Hophal stem. I admit I didn't follow the whole RWC discussion.

Regards,
Bryan

--
B.M. Rocine