b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Nimrod?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yohanan bin-Dawidh" <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Nimrod?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:46:13 -0500

*Shalom leha Yigal;*

*I am in agreement with you that there is nothing contained within the
verses found in Sefer B'reshith chapter 10 that suggest that Nim'rod was
rebellious in YHWH. This is primarily post-biblical midrash founded by the
Rabbanim. But I think they find their basis for said midrash in Sefer
B'reshith chapter 11, linking the narrative of the tower (probably a
ziggurat) of Bavel back to Nim'rod, since he is said to have established
Bavel.*

*As to the expression, "k'nim'rod gibbor tsayid lif'ney YHWH", does "gibbor
tsayid" necessarily have to refer to a "mighty hunter", or could it express
the notion that Nim'rod was a "great provider" before YHWH? This would
suggest that he was truly a great king, one who was able to provide for his
kingdom. I have never seen anyone else besides me express this thought, but
this is what I lean toward, and have leaned toward for some time. *

*Yasher ko'ah!*

*Yohanan bin-Dawidh*