b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root SLH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root SLH
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 06:44:19 +0200

Pere,

I am really sorry to hear that you failed to understand what I am saying. Don’t despair. Understanding may require time. Things silently simmer in the mind and then suddenly everything falls into place and all becomes bright and clear. It happens to me all the time.

You are saying: “I wonder if anyone on this list does understand it... since nobody, nobody mails to the list anything on this issue...”. I think you should not worry about others. I would not look for comfort in CAR-AT HA-RABIM. The “others” are also greatly preoccupied now with other fun things as evident by the profusion of recent interesting postings.

You are also saying: “I think you have a hard work to do if you want people understand what you mean”. I think it is either easy or neigh impossible depending on the audience. Hard set notions, ideology, pride and bad thinking habits makes it difficult; an open mind and the WILL to understand makes it very easy.

I suggest you keep thinking of what XALAH and GALAH “really” mean without recourse to translation or negation. Does GALAH really means ‘to uncover’, or is this but an implication for something more basic and concrete? Are we really “uncovering” something? Is it possible that a Hebrew root could mean ‘uncover = un-cover’? See also my posting from September 6, 2007 on the equivalence of GLL, HLL, XLL, KLL, QLL.

Looking from time to time at relevant entries in my etymological dictionary at www.hebrewetymology.com could be highly beneficial.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

----- Original Message ----- From: <pporta AT oham.net>