b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Abraham, Sarah, Lot and Lot's Wife: Part I of II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Abraham, Sarah, Lot and Lot's Wife: Part I of II
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:40:53 -0500

Here we go again. We know that Avraham had no such doubts because G-d warned Avimelech in a dream not to touch her, telling him that Avraham was a prophet, and therefore he knew that she had not been touched.

Shoshanna Walker

I am not insisting that Abimelech touched Sarah. What I am insisting,
rather, is that the received text strongly suggests that Abraham himself had some
real doubts about Isaac’Äôs biological paternity for many years. Eventually those
doubts are resolved to everyone’Äôs satisfaction and great relief, but not
immediately.

  • [b-hebrew] Abraham, Sarah, Lot and Lot's Wife: Part I of II, Shoshanna Walker, 12/27/2007