b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47: What Foreign Language Is That?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 31: 47: What Foreign Language Is That?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:41:56 -0500

Jim,

The Ending -UTA is the grafted combined personal pronoun HU)-AT-HI) or HU)-ATAH needed to turn the root SHD into the noun SAHAD-UTA, 'he [the thing] which has the property embodied in the root SHD'.
It corresponds to the -UT = HU)-AT ending of (ED-UT, 'evidence, precept, decree', as of Psalms 19:8.
It is possible that the purpose of the last HI) in the triplet HU)-AT- HI) serves the function of a definite article, as is the pre- positioned Hebrew HA- = HI), say, HA-(ED-UT.

Isaac Fried, Boston University