b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Yigal: Who wrote the books of the Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Yigal: Who wrote the books of the Bible
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:37:22 -0400

The list of Biblical writers that I cited is taken from the Talmud, Bava Basra. The fact that it is listed somewhere later than the completion of these books doesn't mean that it was all just made up by rabbis who had an agenda; my position - that they had the information, and they listed the authors of these books for us so that we, too, could have the information - is no less plausible than your position.

This relates to our previous discussion of Sefer Yetzira which is attributed to Avraham, yet Sa'adia Gaon, who said it was written in Talmudic times still attributed the methods it taught, and the knowledge contained within it, to have come from Avraham. So obviously Avraham didn't put pen to paper, but this apparently is what it means that Avraham "wrote" it, and this must be the reason why the word "redacted" is used, and why it doesn't contradict that someone else originated it earlier. Similarly the Zohar - which was either actually written by Shimon Bar Yochai, or was a collection of all of his teachings to his special inner group of disciples, that were handed down from disciple to disciple that were finally COMPILED ("redacted"?) into a book a few hundred years later by Moshe de Leon - really amounts to the same thing - not for purposes of science, or the style of language, but in terms of the CONTENT. Similarly the Torah - when we say that G-d wrote it we really do mean that G-d had Moshe write it, but the content originated with G-d, not Moshe, who was only a faithful servant. And similarly all these other books of Tanach.

The "canonization" that the Anshei Knesset HaGedola (who also standardized the prayer liturgy, enacted many laws designed to protect Torah observance and made Torah education available to the masses - Bab. Talmud Megilah: 17b) did, was another stage in the preservation and transmission of our Mesorah - which, ESPECIALLY, if, as you say, there were many versions of these books in circulation, they really needed to do - come to a consensus of which were authentic and which were not, in terms of faithfully depicting our Mesorah - BIG TIME.

Shoshanna Walker

Shoshanna,

The list of bibilcal writers according to the Rabbis (Hazal) is recorded in
a braitha from hundreds of years after the completion of the latest of these
books, and is largely based on the Rabbis' need for the authors to have been
recognized prophets (since the books are "the word of God"). This tradition
and the methodology which it is based upon is not accepted by the majority
of modern scholars, for the same reasons that I have already stated in
written by those people. In any case, even if a book like Samuel is based
upon an earlier written source dating back to the days of David (which is
possible, but in no way proven), it was definately "redacted" by a
late-monarchic and then by an exilic editor. Which means that the book AS WE
HAVE IT is a product of a much later period, and we can only guess about its
actual sources.

The Dead Sea Scrolls, the Septuagint and quite a few other sources,
including rabbinic quotes, show that during the Second Temple period there
were more than one (or even two) "versions" or "editions" of the various
books in circulation, and that the "canonical status" of many of the books
was not agreed on by all authorities. The more-or-less final "canonization"
of the Hebrew Bible only took place after the destruction of the Second
Temple.

There are lots of books you can read on the subject.

Yigal Levin