b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew vs Yiddish

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew vs Yiddish
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:26:55 -0400

Thank you for that information. I really never knew. That is very interesting - especially that it is a means "by which the movements of the Jews through Europe may be traced."

Shoshanna Walker

From Doris Gahler - _dgahler782 AT aol.com_ (mailto:dgahler782 AT aol.com)

Shoshannah - Yiddish is not a "Germanized" Hebrew but is a mixture by which
the movements of the Jews through Europe may be traced. It is primarily based
on German with some corrupted admixtures of Romance languages - since, after
all, they came from the defunct Roman Empire. (I.e. cholent is a corruption
of the French chaud et lent, carried eastward by Alsatian/Rhineland Jews
migrating through Germany into Poland. Once in Eastern Europe, Slavic terms were
adopted which did not appear in the Juden-Teitsch spoken by Jews residing in
Germany. And, of course, some Hebrew terms were retained, albeit in
corrupted, "Yiddishized" form.

Doris Gahler

  • [b-hebrew] Hebrew vs Yiddish, Shoshanna Walker, 10/30/2007