b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1:24 - holem waw

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "ג'ייסון הייר" <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Charles Grebe" <cgrebe AT briercrest.ca>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1:24 - holem waw
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:34:19 +0200

Dear Charles,

I had never noticed this וֹ so I'm glad that you pointed this out. I don't
think it's normally translated, and I can't comment on whether you *can*
have a pronominal suffix in that position. I will just say that it's not the
common way to find it written. Notice how Onkelos translates this passage
into Aramaic:

וַאֲמַר יְיָ תַּפֵּק אַרְעָא נַפְשָׁא חַיְתָא לִזְנַהּ בְּעִיר וּרְחֵשׁ
וְחֵוַת אַרְעָא לִזְנַהּ וַהֲוָה כֵן׃
W)MR YY TPQ )R() NP$) XYT) LZNH. B(YR WRX$ WXWT )R() LZNH. WHWH KN:

He used the phrase חות ארעא, which also left the holem-vav untranslated. I
don't know what it's function is. Rashi doesn't comment on the form. Maybe
someone else has an answer. It's an interesting question.

Thanks,
Jason Hare
English Teacher - Wall Street Institute
Rishon LeZion