b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sign Your Messages Please

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sign Your Messages Please
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:37:27 -0400

I would like to politely add - to be fair and to present the whole picture - that Jewish Biblical scholars/commentaries were also "professional Hebrew scholars" and linguists, and that they all referred to each others' "reference works", that they, too, command great and very very longstanding respect, and I truly hope that the fact that there were not PhD degrees given out at that time, many hundreds of years ago, will not prejudice the members of this list towards the belief that their teachings are those of "amateurs".

Shoshanna

...On this list professional Hebrew scholars co-exist with
amateurs....

As an example of when such information may be helpful is when
one of these non-standard views are advanced. One may choose
to place more weight on a view which comes from a tenured
academic with a Ph.D. than an amateur who refuses to buy or
read standard reference works. Of course, you are also free
to disregard all such information.

Bill Rea, ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'