b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sign Your Messages Please

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: Jane <jane5ok AT yahoo.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sign Your Messages Please
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:51:38 -0500

Or people could do what I have done for over a decade on various groups (and what I did on this group before I was forced to stop) - using an on-line handle.

If some of you remember I was known as Brak on this list when I started (as I am known on other groups). But stopped when the moderators forced me. I raised the same objections as you and the others.

In the big picture what difference does it make if I sign my posts as Brak, John, John Steven, or John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt?

But for some reason the moderators find that using a full name is essential - something that I myself can't wrap my head around.
It would be nice if the moderators would actually give some substantial reasoning for this requirement, and why they feel the need to enforce it. Cause really I could have signed my posts as John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, and if it wasn't for the song no one would be none-the-wiser. So truly, what really is the point?

B"H
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt - his name is my name too!

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

Jane wrote:
Hi everyone,

I do not really want to create a controversy. I belong to a number of
groups and it is more common to use just a first name than also a last.
Some groups where professionals coincide amoungst amateurs may have the
professionals (ie teachers who use their school ISP) using their last names
routinely. When it is apparent that there are more than one person by the
same first name, some may opt to use a last initial. This is not something
I have ever done. I stand by my offer to remove myself from the group if it
will be deemed necessary to use a last name (and no a fake last name isn't
an option - I'd just forget what I'd used).

Warmly
Jane - Australia