b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The root (LM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The root (LM
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:09:29 -0400

B-Listim

From the animated discussion here it looks as though the root (LM is one of the touchiest of the Hebrew bible. Yet there is nothing beyond the ordinary about it. Like any other Hebrew root it is part of an ever expanding family of slowly mutating roots of slightly adjusted meanings and shades of sense.
The root (LM is a variant of the roots:
1. (LP, 'cover, hide, envelop', as in Genesis 38:14, VA-TKAS BA-CA(IP VA-TI-T-(ALAP, "and she covered herself with a vail, and hid herself under it". I think that (ULPEH of Ezekiel 31:15 is 'towered over'. 'and all the trees of the field fainted for him' of KJV appears to me patently nonsense, and 'the land drooped on his account' of NAB is not much better. I see (LP of Isaiah 51:20, Amos 8:13, and Jonah 4:8, as 'overcome, overpower, befog'.
2. (LT, 'cover, hide, conceal, blanket', from which (ALATAH, 'darkness', is formed. Another word for (ALATAH is )APELAH from the root )PL, related to the roots (PL and NPL. From (PL Hebrew generates the word (OPEL, 'tower'.
3. (LL, 'mount, ascend, linger', from which (ALILAH', 'long story, mounting and thickening plot', is formed.
The equivalence of (LM = AL-AM, (LT = AL-AT, (LP = AL-AT and (LL = AL- AL, proves the equivalence of of the Hebrew existence markers, or fundamental concepts, AL-LA, AM-MA, AP-PA and AT-TA.

Isaac Fried, Boston University