b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - Imperfecto

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JoeWallack AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - Imperfecto
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:47:00 EDT

In a message dated 7/24/2007 12:32:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
kwrandolph AT gmail.com writes:

Joe:

On 7/22/07, JoeWallack AT aol.com <JoeWallack AT aol.com> wrote:

> > "14. Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold,
the
> > young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call
> his name
> > Immanuel."
> >
> > " הָרָה " = "is pregnant"
> >
> > This is the perfect tense.

This is not the perfect tense.

First, because it is modern Israeli Hebrew, and not Biblical Hebrew
that has the tenses.

Secondly, the perfective form is HRTH הרתה.

> JW:
> First, do you agree that BH has perfect and imperfect distinction?

Irrelevant, as this is not either.

> > but for your benefit and Karl's
> > if we go by examples in the Hebrew Bible, this construction is usually
the
> > perfect.

See above.

JW:
When you are ready to give me a clear answer on whether you think BH has
Perfect/Imperfect distinction HNNY.

> Joseph Wallack

I have to admire your tenacity, but it needs to be based on accuracy.

Karl W. Randolph.

JW:
So far it's been about as hard as teaching a dog how to bark.

Joseph Wallack