b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:41:51 -0500

Dear Karl,
I used to think that the -MW suffix always referred to the third
person indefinite number, but when I was recently analyzing Job 40:4,
I came to the realization that the subject of the -MW suffix was Job
himself, in the first person. Now I'll have to go back and see if this
is the only usage that is not third person, or if there are others as
well. This is a new assignment for me.

Job 40:4 is a bit different because the -MW suffix has no pronominal value. LMW is functioning as a poetic alternative for the preposition L. It is a frequent usage, appearing 55 times according to BDB.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard