b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syriac

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syriac
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:05:53 -0500

Dear Yocabo,
I am just starting to learn Syriac and was wondering what is the best method
or book to learning it. I will be studying it on my own with some Syriac
Orthodox Christians helping me. If anyone on the board has studied that
language or could give me little tips along the way that would be greatly
apreciated. Additonally if any one could tell me or point me in the right
direction of studying the Variations between the
Estralango/Nestorian/Jacobite Scripts. I was wondering what more documents
are written in and if anyone would have any info of the genesis and the
development of this language.

You're doing better than me. I bought a textbook that is considered difficult, and I have not been much motivated to use it. Here is one textbook that seems good:

Introduction to Syriac : an elementary grammar with readings from Syriac literature
Thackston, W. M. (Wheeler McIntosh), 1944-

Assuming no previous knowledge of a Semitic language, Thackston (Persian and other Near East languages, Harvard U.) introduces the Aramaic dialect of Edessa, an important center of early Christianity in Mesopotamia, and a classic language among several people of the region today. He uses both the Syriac script as students will encounter it, and English transliteration to clarify the pronunciations. Most of his examples passages are from the Peshitta, the standard Syriac translation of the Bible, because he expects most students to be in Biblical studies and the passages are likely to be familiar to the others anyway. Copyright © Libri GmbH. All rights reserved. Distributed by Syndetic Solutions, Inc.

Wheeler M. Thackston is Professor of Persian and other Near East Languages at Harvard University, where he has taught Persian and Arabic for over twenty years. Distributed by Syndetic Solutions, Inc.

Publisher:
IBEX Publishers,
Pub date:
c1999.
Pages:
xxvii, 228 p. ;
ISBN:
0936347988

HH: Here's another that is more recent still:

Leshono Suryoyo : first studies in Syriac
Healey, John F.

"Aiming to enable the student to read all types of Syriac texts (with the aid of a dictionary), the book is suitable for students learning Syriac within the context of a University or College course or in independent study without a teacher. A compact disc containing vocalizations of all samples and texts in the grammar is included."--BOOK JACKET. Distributed by Syndetic Solutions, Inc.

Publisher:
Gorgias Press,
Pub date:
2005.
Pages:
xxiii, 220 p. ;
ISBN:
1593331908

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

  • [b-hebrew] Syriac, Yocabo Rabinowitz, 04/19/2007
    • Re: [b-hebrew] Syriac, Harold Holmyard, 04/19/2007