b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Uncancelable meaning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: davidfentonism AT aim.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Uncancelable meaning
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 01:36:37 +0100

On 31/03/2007 23:57, davidfentonism AT aim.com wrote:
I think this depends on how you construct "fexibility". As you know well,
Hebrew letters and roots have embedded meaning which inform the words they form and
that those embedded meanings in the letters and roots are 'uncancellable'. However,
those very same 'uncancellable' letters and roots are dynamic, having a range of
meaning. It is in this way that I perceive Bill's proposition. Thanks, Peter.
No, David, I do not know this well. Meanings are not uncancellably embedded in letters and roots, they are temporarily and fuzzily associated with words and word groups. Roots are an abstraction which is helpful to some limited extent. But there is no mysticism here and nothing uncancellable.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org