b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Uncancelable meaning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Uncancelable meaning
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:23:36 +0100

Dear David,

The matter is not so much one of English fluency or the intuition of a
native speaker, as one of linguistic analysis, including the definition of a
state, and an understanding of how different parts of a clause convey meaning. I
am trained in this, and
when I read his words, I immediately agreed with Nordlander. The example can
be compared with Rainey´s claim, which I criticised early in our discussion,
that the clause with "day and night" showed that the force of a verb form
was progressive. However, an example with IPRUS together with "day and
night" showed that the progressive force was caused by the adverbial and not
by the verb form. I again stress that a difference between semantics and
pragmatics is based on the ability to see which factors in a clause convey
which meaning. People who are not trained in linguistics have great problems
here; including Rainey who is an excellent Semitist, but who apparrently
lack training in linguistics.

I quoted the other point of Nordlander that "have-as an isolated verbal
nucleus-is ALWAYS a stative verb," in order to show that other linguists
also operate with uncancellable meaning. I have not seen all such
"have"-clauses in English, and therefore I could not do anything but refer
to his words.

A new book of mine will be published in May, and I am very busy with the
finishing work. So I do not want to continue this discussion.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>