b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 11:58:59 +1100

Hi David!

Firstly, thanks for keeping me on my toes. Your observations are, as usual,
astute.

Yes, you are right to say that 'some' research points towards verbal aspect.
However, the interesting thing I am finding is that people working
independently of each other are coming up with similar conclusions regarding
verbal aspect. This, of course, does not mean that it is correct, but it
does mean it is worth investigating.

As for your query from 2005 (sorry, didn't realise I had not answered): I do
not think that time is grammaticalised in Biblical Hebrew. Time is, from
what I can see, indicated by context and/or deictic markers. As such, I do
see verbal aspect being grammaticalised in the construction of verb forms.
Is this unique to Biblical Hebrew? No, I don't think so. Con Campbell has
just completed a dissertation on verbal aspect in Koine Greek, and comes up
with very similar conclusions to the ones I'm making in Biblical Hebrew (it
should be published in the very near future). Of course this does open the
need to investigate whether verbal aspect is a feature of other Semitic
languages, especially close cognates of Biblical Hebrew. My suspicion (and
this is purely speculative), is that verbal aspect began to die as ancient
societies became more dependent on written records and those records were
kept indefinitely. Time, I suspect, became a governing factor. Nonetheless,
that speculation needs to be tested.

There is still a long way to go on this whole question, but so far the
explanatory power of verbal aspect is, in my opinion, quite impressive for
both Biblical Hebrew and Koine Greek -- enough to make for a working
hypothesis.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)