b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] On Song 2:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • Cc: 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] On Song 2:10
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:47:58 -0500

Bob.
It appears to me that this LAK, as the LAKEM of genesis 22:5 ("Abide ye here with the ass"), is an imperative mitigator turning a command into a suggestion, as though whatever is to be done will be done by free will. It is not quite an ANA, but it is certainly a polite,yet authoritative, 'please'.
Isaac Fried, Boston University