b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] On Song 2:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] On Song 2:10
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:52:01 -0600

Bob MacDonald wrote:
The verse Song 2:10 is typically translated with two imperatives - arise, my
love, my fair one, and come away - or something to that effect.

Two repetitions of LAK are not translated

arise! (to you), my companion, my fair one, and go/walk! (to you).

What is the grammar or poetry in these two words which I have literally
rendered as 'to you'?

Any help appreciated

HH: This is called a lamed of interest. It would be rendered as "for yourself." It indicates that the action of the verb is to be taken in the interest of the person named with the lamed. It can indicate advantage or disadvantage, and here it signifies advantage. This was evidently an emphasizing element of biblical Hebrew, but it is generally viewed as untranslatable, or unnecessary to translate.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard