b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 49, Issue 1 T Sirach 30:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 49, Issue 1 T Sirach 30:17
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 12:30:52 -0600

Dear Eva,
could you guys translate Sirach 30:17 for me. I translated it and it does not
make since. I do not think the traditional translation makes since eighter

HH: Here is the NRSV, which seems to be a good translation of the Greek OT:

Sir. 30:17 Death is better than a life of misery,
and eternal sleep than chronic sickness.

HH: It makes sense, but I do not agree with it. Sirach is not Scripture and so I don't have to agree with it.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard