b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:29, a third campaign implied?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:29, a third campaign implied?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 10:48:03 -0500

Dear All,
Hanan Eshel and his wife Estee have discussed this point extensively and
have argued cogently (imo) for a third campaign based on the DSS. Hanan
discusses it most recently in his new book on the Maccabees, but also in
articles. The new book is very good, but only in Hebrew at the moment. It
is called The Qumran Scrolls and the Hasmonian State, published by Yad
Ben-Zvi Press, 2004. The first chapter seeks to show that there was a third
campaign
using both Daniel and the DSS. The scroll that he uses is 4Q248 which
repeats part of Dan. 12:7. They argue that the King in 4Q248 is Antiochus
IV and that it witnesses to a third campaign.
Anyway, I recommend the book to all who are interested in this point and who
are willing to slog through the Hebrew. I read it with an English
translation of the scrolls handy which helped a lot.
Maybe it will be published in English one day.
Best regards,
Liz Fried