b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 36:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 36:2
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:08:52 -0600

I wrote:

_____________________

Here is a NET Bible note about another difficulty in the verse:

5tn Heb “for it causes to be smooth to him in his eyes to find his sin
to hate.” The meaning of the Hebrew text is unclear. Perhaps the point
is this: His rebellious attitude makes him reject any notion that God
will hold him accountable. His attitude also prevents him from
recognizing and repudiating his sinful ways.

HH: I wonder if it might be possible to think of verse 3 this way: "It is flattering to him in his eyes to find his sin, to hate (it)." Could one possibly insert an understood third person subject for the infinitives? The idea would be:

It is flattering to him in his eyes when one finds his sin so as to hate it.

HH: The idea would be that he gets a kick out of how other people discover his wickedness and are repulsed by it.

HH: I offer this suggestion because I am not finding the HCSB alternative convincing. How can one insert the words "too much"? The NRSV, on the other hand, seems to have no real basis to insert the word "cannot":

Psa. 36:2 For they flatter themselves in their own eyes that their iniquity cannot be found out and hated.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard