b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:24:53 -0500

Dear Moshe,

1. As to the LXX/GB I understand what you say, the verse has it's difficulties. I am curious as to what other meaning you say that ORUSSW can mean? I will check it out with someone who is an expert in the area.
2. As to the variants there are two issues. First variants in many cases just represent errors in copying. All of us who have been teachers of Hebrew are quite aware of the 'variants' that can occur. Second, which of these variants are you claiming gets you closer to 'pierced'. There are none that I know of which help in this area. (KARY, KARU, KRU, KRY)

HH: The LXX translator evidently understood that the word was KRW. ORUSSW means "dig," and it translates KRH in other places (Ps 57:6; Gen 26:25). But ORUSSW (and so KRH) evidently are capable of having a meaning like "out a hole in something," since that is the meaning at Ps 40:6 for ORUSSW. ORUSSW can have the meaning "dig through" or "make a canal through" or "burrow."

Yours,
Harold Holmyard