b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:38:44 +0100

On 28/09/2006 23:11, Moshe Shulman wrote:
Harold, words mean something. KRU cannot be distorted to mean pierced, when it means to dig (a hole). A truck is not a wheelbarrow even though both have four wheels.

Can you give evidence from biblical Hebrew of:

1) The sizes of hole,
2) The kinds of material in which the hole is made,
3) The kinds of instrument used for making the hole

which could NOT be referred to with this verb? After all, that is the only way that you can prove what it does NOT mean.

In modern English (at least in my understanding) "dig" can be used of any size of hole in any material, but the instrument used must be something more like a spade than a spear, stake or drill. But that semantic distinction is valid only in the one language. Maybe modern Hebrew has similar its own precise semantic distinctions for this word. But the distinctions in biblical Hebrew may be quite significantly different from those in modern Hebrew, as can be demonstrated with many words which have subtly changed their meanings.

By the way, I have never seen a four wheeled wheelbarrow!

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org