b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: Daniel 11:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PS Re: Daniel 11:22
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:09:12 -0500

Dear Shoshanna,

Daniel 9:26 again is talking about a king, not Mashiach. It is King Agrippa, the last of the Jewish kings, at the end of the Second Temple era. After his death, the "prince" in this verse, the Roman Titus, would command the destruction of the Temple, which will not be rebuilt until after the war (of Gog and Magog), in Messianic times. Also, in this verse, "Ve'Ain Lo" means - "and will exist no longer", it is not a reference to Mashiach, and it does not refer to someone dying for other people.

HH: Agrippa's death seems too late, and "We' ain Lo" can mean: "And he has nothing." Mashiach is a king. Agrippa II was the last Jewish king:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrippa_II

Agrippa II (AD 27–100), son of Agrippa I, and like him originally named Marcus Julius Agrippa. He was the brother of Berenice and Drusilla (second wife of the Roman procurator Antonius Felix). He is sometimes mistakenly called Herod Agrippa II. . . .

Agrippa II was the seventh and last king of the family of Herod the Great. It was before him and his sister Berenice that Paul of Tarsus pleaded his cause at Caesarea Palaestina (Acts 26), in 59. Agrippa II supplied Josephus with information for his history.

A king who died in A.D. 100 died too late to fulfill the prophecy in Daniel. Even Agrippa I, who died in A.D. 44, seems to late to fulfill the prophecy.

Verse 27 refers to a Roman emperor who would make a treaty with the Jewish nation but would break it, and the "mute abomination" refers to a temple of idolatry that Hadrian erected on the Temple Mount.

HH: Verse 27 has not had a historical fulfillment yet.

"Shavuim" in verse 25 is not the plural of shavua - week. This refers to a set of seven years.

HH: They are weeks of years. It is the same word as the word for week. A Hebrew lexicon will show you this. If we want to call it a "seven" of years, that is fine:

a primary noun, . . . : 1) week; 2) a cycle of seven years (Dalman Wb. 413a); DSS (Kuhn Konkordanz 216) pl. masc. and fem.: a week of years (to mean every seven years), so 1QS 10:7, 8 and probably also Dam. 16:4, on which see Maier Texte 1: 41a; DJD 1: p. 96, text 41:2 . . . .
on the pl. masc. (only in Daniel) and fem. cf. a group of seven, a seven part unit . . . .
—1. seven consecutive days, week . . . .
—2. the festival of seven weeks, Pentecost, see Tobit 21. . . .
—3. a week of years, a period of seven years: one week long Da 9:27, . . . seven weeks 925, sixty-two weeks 9:25f, seventy weeks 9:24 . . . .

Isaiah 53 is a prophecy foretelling what the nations and their kings will exclaim when they witness Israel's rejuvination. When Israel's exile is ended, the nations will marvel that such a generation could have survived the expulsion from "the land of the living", ie; the Land of Israel. It is not talking about the resurrection of a single person.

HH: Yes, it is talking about an individual. The servant is an individual who saves the nation:

Is. 49:5 And now, saith the LORD that formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the LORD, and my God shall be my strength.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard