b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 14:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 14:4
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 14:14:44 -0500

To All:

To put a new wrinkle on the subject, Sujeta kindly
sent me a URL to images of the Isaiah scroll,
http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/qum-12.htm seventh line
down third word in looks like MWHBH. The letter
taken as a resh can be taken either as a resh, or a
waw. Of course, I could be misreading it as the
image is not as clear as we would want it to be.

As for the meaning of MRHBH, as a variant it is a
happax legomenon. When looking at other words from
the same root, we have RHB the verb, used only four
times in Tanakh: Isaiah 3:5, Psalms 138:3, Proverbs
6:3, Song of Songs 6:5; RHB the noun used five
times: Psalms 40:5, 89:11, 90:10, Job 9:13, 26:12.
Then there are three times it is used as an epithet
for Egypt, but the meaning for the epithet is
determined by its meaning elsewhere.

Looking at the totality of its uses, we find that
it cannot mean "raging" (unless it has a different
meaning for each use, in which case it is in
practice undefined), rather it seems to have the
force of emboldening also in the sense of
encouragement, both to the positive and/or to the
negative. In the positive, emboldening to do what
is needed, in the negative emboldening to rise up
against superiors or God to do what it not good.

Thus the proverb, How the one who treats harshly
has been taken captive, the bold actions have been
stopped.

If the word is MWHBH, the verb is used about 30
times, has the meaning of handing over. Again it
fits the context, as the one who was taking captive
now is taken captive, therefore the handing over
(their taking captive of other peoples) is stopped.
Pual participle. But I consider this a weaker
connection.

As for buying BHQ, unless it can be carried in a
pocket, or come as a computer file that can be
opened by all computers (including handhelds), I
won't be able to get it. I am a rolling stone, I
don't have more than a small box for my library.
Already many of my books are only computer files.
Next year I may cross oceans again. Even my
computers are no longer desktops, but notebooks
at the largest.

Karl W. Randolph.