b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Explicative use of wayyiqtol (To John Cook)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John Cook" <jacook AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Explicative use of wayyiqtol (To John Cook)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:32:39 -0400

Dear Moon,

Oy vey! I don't know if I have the time to address in sufficient detail your
sundry remarks. Let me respond with the following brief comments:

a) I do not claim to have completely explicated the verb in Num 1:48. If it
were easily solved we would not be discussing it, and we can multiply many
more interesting examples such as it. I do think that the verb makes
reference to a subnarrative in which God commands Moses not to number the
Levites and he doesn't. The difficulty is, arguably, that we only have one
action of a narrative, whereas most would define a narrative as a sequence of
actions. Unfortunately, the next action in the subnarrative would logically
be a negative one---Moses did not number them. The solution is not perfect,
admittedly, but it is satisfactory I think.

b) I can't really respond well to your second point because I don't agree
with your premise. You are presuming X-QATAL serves various purposes (a la
Niccacci it would seem) and then wondering why my explanation does not fit
your presumption. It is simply because I don't buy into Niccacci's discourse
approach to the BH verbal system.

c) I'm glad you find Hatav's system satisfying. I admire much in her
discussion. However, her treatment of WAYYIQTOL is a "tighter jacket" than
mine (to use your phrase). Not only does Hatav (1997) claim that WAYYIQTOL
always introduces a new R-time (i.e., is temporally successive), but she
claims that QATAL does not. In addition, although not explicit about this,
she seems to follow her teacher Reinhart (1984) who assumes that temporal
succession and foregrounding are mutually implicating, which would mean that
Hatav and Reinhart claim that WAYYIQTOL is both temporally successive and
foregrounding in every instance. Confusion and inter-mingling of these two
categories in analyses of WAYYIQTOL (and WEQATAL) were what I was seeking to
address in my JSS article. The other exception I take to Hatav is that she
analyzes WAYYIQTOL in terms of modal YIQTOL (2004). Based on typological and
historical data I argue both that YIQTOL is imperfective aspect, not modal (I
have a long-overdue forthcoming article in JANES responding to Joosten's
earlier JANES article in this regard), and that WAYYIQTOL evolved from a past
tense *yaqtul base that has become partially homonymous with yiqtol in BH.
This is a fairly wide-spread view among Semitists.

Best wishes on your continued investigation of this intriguing matters.

John

John A. Cook
Editor, Eisenbrauns
574-269-2011 ext. 240