b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relative Pronoun ASHER

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <ken.penner AT acadiau.ca>
  • To: <ian.young AT arts.usyd.edu.au>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relative Pronoun ASHER
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:23:48 -0300

Hi Ian,

P$RW )$R is functioning as a conjunction, like KY or Aramaic DY or Greek
hOTI. See BDB under 8a.

"Its interpretation is that they divide their yoke"
"The interpretation of the word is that God will not consume his people"
Perhaps Isa 38:7 is comparable (note the parallel using KY in 2Kings 20:19):
ZH-LK H)WT M)T YHWH )$R Y(&H...
Maybe Eccl 7:18: +WB )$R T)XZ BZH

Like hOTI, )$R can also be recitative.
Its interpretation: "they divide they yoke..."

Ken Penner
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner g-megillot AT mcmaster.ca