b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hell

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Herman Meester" <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hell
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:04:23 +0100

2006/3/18, Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>:
> [...]
> > The ψυχή is the immaterial part of the body that gives it life [Ln].
> > A natural body is the one that is the instrument of the soul [Ed, Gdt,
> > Ln].
> > It is suited for the physical world and limited to it [EGT, Herm,
> > MNTC, TNTC].
> > It indicates a life that is earthly and belongs to this present age
> > [NIC2].
> > It is body that is subject to hunger, thirst, and fatigue and is
> > limited to time and space [NTC].
> > It indicates the animal body that is animated and informed by the soul
> > [Alf, HNTC].
> > It is a body that is governed by the soul.
> > Through the soul, the self expresses itself and relates to others [Vn].
>
> > it-is-raised (a) spiritual body.
> > QUESTION—What is meant by a σῶμα πνευματικόν 'spiritual body'?
> > It means either it is composed of spirit or it is under the rule of
> > the Spirit of God or both [AB].
> > It is a body controlled by the Spirit of God [AB, NIC, NIC2, NTC].
> > It is a body completely filled by the Spirit of God [NTC].
> > It is a body created new by the Spirit of God [NIC].
> > It is a body that is given life by the Spirit of God [HNTC, TH, Vn].
> > It is a body created by a life principle the function of which is to
> > serve the spirit [Gdt].
> > It is a body that is adapted to heavenly existence [EGT, Ho, HNTC, MNTC].
> > It is a body that is controlled by the spirit and is in harmony with
> > God's Spirit [ICC].
> > It is a body in which the spirit is predominant and is guided by the
> > Spirit of God [Alf].
> > It does not mean a body that is composed of πνεῦμα 'soul/life' [Gdt,
> > Ho, ICC, Ln, NIC2, TH, TNTC].
> > The πνεῦμα 'spirit' is the immaterial part of the body that is
> > sensitive to the Spirit of God.
> > A 'spiritual body' is one that is an instrument for the spirit and one
> > which the spirit controls [Ln].
> > It does not indicate an immaterial body, but a supernatural one—one
> > that belongs to the Spirit and the coming age.
> > It is one that resembles Christ's resurrection body (see 15:49) [NIC2].
> > It is a body that is not limited by time and space, yet one that is
> > material—a body that Jesus' disciples could recognize [NTC].
> > The spiritual body is one that is the appropriate instrument for the
> > supernatural activity of the Holy Spirit [Ed].
> > A spiritual body is one that corresponds to the needs of a spirit [TNTC].
>
> I do not see one of these many exegetes, who are looking for Paul's
> original meaning, not for church tradition or later theology, supporting
> you idea that the distinction here is between a material psuche and an
> immaterial pneuma.
>
> Now, Herman, your interpretation of Paul is perhaps not impossible,
> especially as one of the "as many versions of Paul's letters as there
> are readers". But you should realise that you are disagreeing on this
> not just with me but with all of the scholars of Paul who have written

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your extensive information. The question interests me so
I'll give it more thought.
This will be the last (on-list at least) mail of mine on the subject,
because I agree Hebrew is not really he subject here. We should set
the right example, in order for the list not to have every subject
even remotely related to "religion" or "language", discussed.

One last point:
In the above, you quote:

From the SIL Exegetical Summaries for 15:44, summarising the opinions
of many commentators:
> It-is-sown (a) natural body,
> QUESTION—What is meant by a σῶμα ψυχικόν 'natural body'?
> It is a body that is animated by the ψυχή 'soul/life' as animal life [Ho],
> and is adapted to the conditions of existence on earth [Ho, ICC].
> It does not mean a body that is composed of ψυχή 'soul/life' [Gdt,
> Herm, Ho, ICC].
> It has reference to the natural world in contrast to the supernatural
> [AB, TNTC].

That, I believe, isn't far away from my own interpretation.

Furthermore, my own teacher (Joh. Tromp) of Hellenistic period Judaism
in Leiden has the same interpretation of Paul (I mean, there are a few
more "dissidents"). By the way, I think the number of people that have
a certain opinion does not necessarily have anything to do with
whether they are right or not. It may be so, but it is not an argument
for the validity of a certain opinion. If it was, it would end all
progress in scholarship.

regards,
Herman