b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:05:46 -0500

Yitzhak:

The pronunciation of modern Hebrew is irrelevant to the
discussion. All I referenced was the pronunciation I was
taught in class of Masoretic Hebrew.

What I have asked for is evidence from when everyone
can agree that Biblical Hebrew was spoken as a native
tongue, namely from before the Babylonian Exile. All I
have been given is theory, which I question, and data
from much later periods.

The evidence for Biblical Hebrew having had a CV
structure is again theory, in this case my own based on
reading Tanakh a few times through in unpointed Hebrew.
That influenced me to believe that each letter originally
stood for one consonantal sound, in contrast to the
Masoretic pointing of two sounds for some of the letters.
When read in that way, many words are unpronounceable
except as CV syllables, hence my theory.

Oh for access to a native speaker from whom we could
learn how Biblical Hebrew was actually spoken. It may
have been different from what all of us think.

Karl W. Randolph.