b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:46:24 -0500

Peter:

It depends on the nature of the evidence.

The problem as I see it is that the evidence from
transliteration and known pronunciation of cognate
languages that I know of is not from when Biblical Hebrew
was without controversy recognized as being spoken as a
native tongue, i.e. before the Babylonian Exile. If you are
able to present information that I don't have from that time
period and before, I will listen. But if all the information
that you have dates from generations later, as is all such
evidence that I have seen so far, I find that unconvincing.

And yes, I do question the presuppositions under which
some of the conclusions derived from the studies of
cognate languages stems.

You have reason to ask if there is any point to providing
such evidence.

Karl W. Randolph.