b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] midwives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] midwives
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:02:26 -0500

Hi Harold,

Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:
Dear Bryan,

What do you all think of the possibility that the midwives of Exo 1:15
were Egyptians rather that Hebrews?

HH: The fact this it is said of them twice that they feared God helps convince me that they were Hebrews, who had knowledge of the living God.

The funny thing is, to me, the double reference to these midwives fearing God is all the more reason to think they were *not* Hebrews. I ask myself why the narrator would "over-mention" their fearing God if they were Hebrews (for whom it would be less remarkable to fear God). On the other hand it would be particularly relevant to over-mention their fearing God if it *is* especially remarkable for some reason like that they are Egyptians.

Other non-Hebrews feared God such as the mariners in Jonah or Abrahm's friend Abimelek in Gen. You might also consider Ruth or even Cornelius.

Don't think I am determined to make these women Egyptians. I am merely more vigorously defending the less-proposed idea.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine