b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 2:6 - Job 36:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 2:6 - Job 36:27
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:07:06 +0500

On 28/09/2005 19:01, Vadim Cherny wrote:

Genesis 2:6 opens with the word 'ed, commonly translated as "mist" or "inundation."
The last translation, alluding to the flooding of Mesopotamian plains, relies on the
Akkadian edu, "flood." Ancients knew that floods are related to rains; ...

Not necessarily. The Egyptians (to whose lexicon you appeal later) did not know that the flooding of the Nile related to rains thousands of miles away in central Africa, although they may have suspected it. Indeed this was probably not demonstrated until the late 19th or even early 20th century- that's CE or AD! To return to Mesopotamia, this is not even true, as the flooding there is mostly caused my melting of snow in Anatolia. The snow of course fell as snow, and we probably have no idea whether the Akkadians knew that snow was a form of rain, let alone whether they knew that melting of snow caused flooding.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)